Tuesday 31 August 2010

If you're squeamish, don't look!!

Sis, just don't show Jason the next couple of pictures, I still remember his first encounter with 'willicks' (winkles) and well yep, he just doesn't like seafood of any description does he and I guess these little uns are enough to put most folk off.
Our Michael and Eddie (George may have gone too but not sure) went to the beach and picked a few bags and brought some round after he'd cooked them. I sent a couple of the photos to Marc and Sam saying 'yum, yum' and Sam's reply was 'seriously No, you can't eat them, you wouldn't boil garden snails and eat them would you'. Be thankful I haven't posted the one of me eating them, which is what I sent to Sam, Marc said the poor girl was nearly sick, but yes to be honest I will eat these but a snail of any other type 'nope I think not - they seem a lot bigger'.

Cooking instructions - first go to the beach and look under the rocks for willicks (winkles). Collect as many as you can before the tide comes in (only joking) - try to collect the bigger ones though as some of them are not worth having. Do leave the ones alone that have crabs in them (although you can't always see them), otherwise poor things will be boiled to death (now I know that sounds gruesome but OK don't put me on a guilt trip, I only eat them)
Rinse with cold water and salt to remove any sand or gunky stuff, put in a pan of salted water and boil for 20 minutes or so. Let them cool and eat using a pin to remove them from the shell, although they are tasty warm-ish.



1 comment:

Denise said...

Yum :-) Funny how we can eat them but I couldn't touch a snail if you paid me!!!
Love ya sis.
xxxx